Friday, July 6, 2007

On the move

Office starts at 9 in the morning(or 10 or sometimes even at 11!!) but I am usually there by 8! Nope, I am not the over-zealous type out to score brownie points with the boss (and in case you thought of it, I am not the janitor either!!).

The reason for my presence at that relatively unearthly time is simple - Traffic. For nearly 17 kms from home, starting from my front gate, I go left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, right, left, right, left, right, right, left, right, left, left, right, left, right, right and finally left. In spite of sounding like a weird marching band routine, this is how I get to my office parking lot every morning. On a bike. With a backpack weighing anywhere in the vicinity of 8 to 10 kgs. Now let me tell you, I love my bike. And I love riding it. But taking 12 left turns and 13 right turns twice a day, every day, does sort of dampen that romance more than a little bit. Added to this already dampened experience is the traffic which, even as I watch it, is growing at an alarming rate (something akin to the bean stalk in that story I am sure all of you have heard as kids). A few years back 7.30 in the morning used to be that time of the day when I could do the 'zip-zap-zoom' and be in office in no time flat. Now-a-days, my ride is more like 'zip-2 traffic lights-zap-traffic light & traffic jam-zoom-3 traffic lights and heavy traffic' to office. And all this still at the same 7.30 in the morning!!! And if I am so fortunate to get delayed in the morning and have to start later, I reach office in time to 'do lunch'!

With the traffic growing at this rate, I will probably end up shifting to a place nearer to office (Hmmm need to find out if I can rent out that empty space in the Office basement!!!). Or may be I will just join the hordes of lemmin...errr I mean people and go in for a car myself. That way I can work while going to and while coming back from office and have a peaceful lunch while there!!

No comments: