Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stealing the lead

Today is the 14th of august, 2007. Bet you knew that. Today is the last day before we turn 60! And I mean 'We' as in this country called India that I am a citizen of. Am not sure how many know that. It's Independence Day in this neck of the woods on the 15th of August. This is the kind of 'special occasion' that usually has the media at its hyper-active best. And knowing that, I didn't want to look like any other bandwagon jumper by having a post here about the 15th of August on the 15th of August. Instead I am planning to steal a lead over all of them by posting today about tomorrow! :) (I am, of course, very conveniently ignoring all those other people whose posts, about exactly the same subject, I have been reading over the last couple of days)

So the big question is, "What am I going to write about Independence Day? That too in Noodle-House?"

Hmmmm, let's see. I could probably write about quite a few things. Like how we seem to be on a roll, relentlessly moving towards being recognized as a developed nation. Then, I could probably go and contradict myself equally well. I could probably come up with a lot, and I mean a LOT, to say about the sorry state of our political class. I might actually be able to make a logical and plausible argument to illustrate how we readily inherited the bad from the erstwhile occupiers while turning a complete, 100% blind eye to a lot of good that we could have benefited from.

But I wont. Why? Short answer - That doesn't belong in this page. Long answer - First of all, there are those who are more knowledgeable, more eminent and a damn sight more qualified to tackle subjects like that. Moreover, Noodle-House being a noodle house, I am really not sure what kind of trouble I will invite if I go ahead and poke fun at something even remotely linked with the Independence Day. And finally, after having just de-contaminated my funny factory yesterday after an attack of seriousness, I wouldn't want to publicly prove my lack of brains by attempting to write something serious.

Now that I have stolen said lead, check this space tomorrow. :)

No comments: