Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Uniting Factor

It's one of those few, and exceedingly rare, things that is truly plural and catholic in nature. It makes no differentiation between man and woman, young and old. Nor does it take sides based on region, money, religion, color, cast, creed, language, height, weight or sexual orientation. Or any other differentiating factor we humans, as the top-rung occupants of the 'intelligent-life-form-on-earth' pyramid, might come up with.

From the top of my 'increasingly-and-rapidly-getting-sun-tanned' head, I can right now think of examples like cancer, aids, malaria et all, to name but a few, as the only other things that could and would give this thing company in terms of being extremely and unbiasedly universal. But the crucial difference, and thankfully so, is that this is no disease. Like life itself, this is something that goes on for as long as we live. There is no escaping it, though it's been found to stop sometimes, on its own, usually after having run its full course.

The unfortunate truth, however, is that it is a life-long problem none would voluntarily live with. But like I said before, we can be happy that it is not a life threatening disease. It's just a problem we haven't yet figured out the solution for. And being oh-so-intelligent and oh-so-creative, it's just a matter of time. But all these peripheral things should not take away from the plurality of it.

May we have more such things to truly unite us.

PS: By the way, I was referring to Hair Loss. What did you think??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first read the title to the blog, I laughed. After reading your post, I laughed even harder. This gave me something to think about. I am glad that I am still young and do not have to worry about this problem yet but as for my dad, he should read this. He still claims that his hair is thinning and that he is not going bald. I tried to explain to him that this usually means that he is going bald and he still denies it. Oh well, life will go on.

AVP said...

Well you know how 'old' people are. They just don't want to accept change even when it is literally staring at them (from that mirror). But remember, if he can do it so can you, when it's time for you to do so. :)