Thursday, May 22, 2014

nom de plume

So what do I remember of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? First up, I read Huckleberry Finn before Tom Sawyer. It was part of school syllabus. I caught up with Tom Sawyer a little later in a pocket sized book. Anyway the thing is I don't really remember much beyond the names of the two protagonists (I think there was also slave called Jim though I am not really sure about this. I am trying hard not to turn to Google to fill me in. "Google dependency" is probably a separate post on its own. Or not!!). I do however remember the author - one Mr. Mark Twain.

I recently learnt that Mark Twain is not the real name of Mark Twain! Confusing? No? It was for me. Apparently the great "Mark Twain" is a just a pseudonym - also known in literary circles as a 'pen name'. Not to be confused with 'pen pal' which apparently doesn't mean a pen is your pal. Alright, back to Mark Twain who was actually not Mark Twain. That's because he was actually one Mr. Samuel Langhorne Clemens. Who wrote under the pseudonym Mark Twain.

PS - I wonder. Wonder if Samuel Langhorne Clemens was related to the Longhorn or the Greenhorn!! ;)

PPS - By the way if 'pen name' seems too bland and 'pseudonym' sounds too mainstream, try 'nom de plume' for size. I don't know which language that is or which century it was prevalent in but it definitely has a ring to it. Plus, saying 'nom de plume' makes you seem cool and knowledgeable. :)

PPPS - I promise this will be the last! Mark Twain has also been a constant in my reading over the years because of all the quotes attributed to him. My favorite? This one - "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." I am looking to buy a T-shirt with this on it.

PPPPS - This is fo' sure the lastest one. I mean it! Two words - Robert Galbraith. :)

No comments: